The INCOSE UK Architecture Working Group was established in early 2007.
The aims of the AWG are to:
- To provide guidance and advice to UK systems engineering community on architecture practice;
- To exert influence over the use of architecture concepts within the UK systems engineering community;
- To liaise with other systems engineering groups involved in architecture work.
The work of the AWG is currently based around the following topics:
- Architecture concepts & terminology
- Uses and types of Architecture
- SE relationship to architecture.
The work is carried out using:
- Quarterly steering group meetings
- Ad hoc workshops on particular topics
- Interaction via the AWG Wiki
The AWG regularly contributes to INCOSE UK and international events and has also published a variety of papers and magazine articles.
The main achievements to date have been:
- Developed Methodology to Understand conflicting Architecture Beliefs / Perspectives
- Applied methodology to drive out Beliefs / Perspectives in:
- Architecture Standards / Publications
- Architecture Practice in UK Industry / Government
- SE / SA relationship
- Developed guidance on UK Architecture Practice
- Introductory guidance (Z-Guide)
- Detailed guidance / handbook
Ongoing Workstreams include:
- Supporting development of standards and reference material (ISO 42010, ISO 42030, ISO 15288, SEBoK)
- Developing manifesto for broadening of SA
- Developing competency framework for architecting
- Capturing and codifying case studies / worked examples