SSE-WG Mission Statement
Where a service is defined as an intangible, non-storable product; something you cannot drop on your foot…
- Explore the ways in which the disciplines and best practices of systems engineering that may be applied to the lifecycle of goods products, can also be applied to the complete lifecycle (formulation, contracting, provision, use and maintenance) of service products.
- Develop and document these insights, from the perspectives of all the stakeholders of service products (from suppliers through acquirers to users).
- Develop and share with others good practice (and appropriate standards) in the systems engineering of service products, and to contribute to the SEBOK where appropriate.
SSE-WG General Information
The Inaugural WG (SSE-WG-1) was held on Friday 31-May-2013 at Thales Research & Technology in Reading Berkshire.
The intervals between future meetings will be organised as necessary to facilitate the activities and deliverables of the WG. It is anticipated that by default they will be at monthly intervals.
The WG is entirely composed of volunteers; it has a number of core members including a Chairman. These core members will act as a steering group to facilitate (i.e. carry water) for the working group as whole.
The role of Chairman will be rotated among the core members to enable a flexible response to the demands of the current Chairman’s parent organisation; one of the Chairman’s first responsibilities is to co-opt their successor.
NOTE: The term ‘Chairman’ is not gender-specific.
While the core members are currently drawn from those present at SSE-WG-1, all the members of this WG are liable to be sought (or able to volunteer) as future core team members.
The current Core Team members, and their roles and responsibilities, will be confirmed at SSE-WG-2, together an agreed (i.e. resourced) plan of activities.
Communications and feedback with/between members will be via the WG Wiki, rather than emails, in the interests of minimising the corresponding admin overhead. [This includes comments on the current and future contents of these web pages]
Scope of SSE-WG Activities
This WG exists to do stuff (e.g., not just to discuss topics of mutual interest).
Experts on topics of interest to the WG will be invited to facilitate seminars on their topic; it is likely that the first will held during 2013-Q4.
- White Papers [placeholder, tbc]
- Briefings to INCOSE UK [current aspiration is to brief ASEC in Nov-2013 to introduce this WG].
- Proactive responses to queries or requests for information, right up to actual help.
SSE-WG Activity Calendar
The next WG meeting (SSE-WG-2) will be held on Monday 15-July-2013 at Mountbatten House, Basingstoke RG21 4HJ, hosted by Quintec Associates Limited.
A more extensive programme of work will be defined at this meeting.